Monday, November 10, 2008

VETERANS DAY


I don't think of MYSELF as a Veteran. Technically I am, but the real Veterans are the ones who came before me. The famous ones i have read and studied my entire life. The not so famous ones, ones who did a hitch and got out to live otherwise normal lives, I remember fondly as well.


Uncle Terry, the Battle of Midway survivor, SGM Sapp and Major Carter, my ROTC instructors, my father in law, the Marine from the Korean conflict, Mike Pantera from the Vietnam era, my WW II Navy neighbor Mr. Cortez, and even my Dad, who spent two years as a mobilized Guardsman during the Korean conflict, making it as far as an operation in Canada.


I have rarely met anyone who ever served in any capacity in the Armed Forces that didn't have some story to tell and that wasn't proud of their service.


I am proud of them, too. Our country is the way it is because of them.

No comments: