Sunday, October 12, 2008

46 and Counting


Good Lord, I am now 46.


Exactly. Had i known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Having the week I had just had, I had been feeling every bit of 56, and just getting home and going to bed would have been the ticket.


Flying in from Florida on my business trip on Friday, I was already thirty minutes late as Wifey was delivering Joe to me so we could attend, of all things, a Rock Concert.


Thats right. I took my 16 year old to The Allman Brothers Concert in Atlanta for my 46th Birthday.


We made it to Chastain Amphitheater with time to spare, even with Atlanta Holiday weekend traffic. We got settled in about 30 minutes before the Allman Brothers came out. A guy behind us informed us that at about 7:45 the international space station would be overhead and we should be able to see it. He was the kind of guy who, if he told you that the international space station was flying over in ten minutes, then you believed it. Sure enough, about ten minutes later, something flew over--not even a minute later and without introduction the Allman Brothers, now somewhat fronted by Joes favorite guitar virtuoso, Derek Trucks, took the stage and for the next 3 and a half hours on a crisp cool clear Fall evening in the greatest state in the World, the former Macon based blues rockers had their way with us. I dont know if I ever heard them sound as good. I was hanging with my best buddy and we were at a concert listening and grooving to the same tunes--I didn't care how damn old I was..


We both got really cool T shirts (just like back in the day) and stopped downtown at the Varsity for a quick snack before we took it back to Maconga--Joe fell asleep on the way home. I was still jamming---and it was almost 1 am when I pulled in the driveway--not too bad for an old man.

No comments: