Thursday, August 2, 2007

I KNOW WHO I AM

Going thru some "artifacts" recently I came across some letters from when I got mobilized for possible deployment during the first Gulf war--the nephew of my best buddy, Guerry "Aquamarine" Bruner, then a wee little fellow, had taken the time to draw me a picture and sent it to me--in those days there was no Email and Al Gores Internet was still in the works. you had to rely on the U. S. Postal Service--and even then, getting mail in the California Desert was a monumental task--but it was what we all lived for.
Of course, Guerrys nephew is all grown up and probably has long ago forgotten this picture he drew for me. While I recently rediscovered the picture I have never forgotten the title. It is who I am. I remind myself of this from time to time when I get down or feel like poor mouthing. I ain't ever going to be rich or famous, but I won't starve to death. I am glad it is the Army, too. The rest of the branches are all well and good and I love em all, but its like my hero, and high school ROTC instructor SGM (Oscar Sapp, Jr) said--The Air Force gets the Glory, the Navy gets the Money, the Marines get the uniforms, and the Army gets the WORK.

Thats me.
George, the guy in the Army suit. I have always thought it would be a good title for a Book. Now, if i can only string enough words together to do that.

No comments: